Your Next Hiking Trip
So you want to go hiking. Just itching to get out in the great outdoors and get away from the hustle of modern life. Excellent choice. Hiking is healthy for the body and a great way to reduce stress. But it can also be an adventure and all-round fun.
But to make your next trek a big success you need to be prepared. Plan in advance to bring everything you’re going to need by making a checklist. Below are a selection of the most common items you’ll be needing on your next hiking trip.
1. A good set of hiking boots or shoes. They need to have a good tread for gripping the terrain and avoid slipping as well as good support for the ankle and be comfortable enough to wear all day. You also need to bring extra socks. Make sure they are thick enough to protect your heel from blistering as this can occur if you are breaking in a new pair of hiking boots.
2. Planning to spend the night? A good tent, sleeping bag and lantern are essential.
3. Dress appropriately according to the weather and bring some extra warm clothes just in case.
4. Bring food and water. Snacks like nuts, dried fruits, power bars and trail mix are quick and easy nutrition on the move. Remember bring a bit more water than you expect to need.
5. Charge up your cell phone and only use it in case of an emergency to save battery life (if a signal is available). A guidebook or maps of the area are essential and don’t forget to bring a compass.